Skip to Content

Monthly Archives: September 2019

Tennessee man allegedly bulldozes neighbour’s house after heated dispute boils over

Written on September 24, 2019 at 16:06, by

A heated dispute between two neighbours in a town north of Memphis, Tennessee got out of hand over the weekend, after one man allegedly used a backhoe to demolish his neighbour’s home.

READ MORE: Neighbours recount West Kelowna takedown

Tipton County Sheriff’s Office say they arrested and charged 57-year-old Edgar McLellan with trespassing and felony vandalism, after matching the description of a person seen ramming a piece of heavy machinery into his neighbour John Higdon’s home.

John Higdon, 48, was arrested and charged with reckless endangerment just hours before having his home destroyed by a piece of heavy machinery.

ChangSha Night Net

Related

  • ‘We heard four or five gunshots’: neighbours recount West Kelowna takedown

  • WATCH: North Shore residents stop bulldozer from clear-cutting trees on their property

  • Fort McMurray wildfire: residents of 2 restricted neighbourhoods to return home

    A third neighbour called police and reported seeing the machine bulldoze Higdon’s home, collapsing walls, bursting pipes, and causing extensive water damage around 2:15 a.m. on Saturday.

    Police say they found a backhoe with remnants from Higdon’s home located on McLellan’s property.

    No one was injured in the incident, but Higdon believes the outcome could have been different had someone been in the home at the time.

    “He [ran] the tractor through both bedrooms where the bed sits,” Higdon told WMC.

    Sam Higdon, the homeowner’s brother, told FOX13 there was “nothing left” of the home and didn’t know what motivated McLellan to allegedly commit the act.

    “He’s never had a beef with this man,” he said. “Why would you want to put a family out of their home? Unless you’re just cold hearted.”

    READ MORE: North Shore residents stop bulldozer from clear-cutting trees on their property

    Officials said the two neighbours had been having an on-going dispute, which led to Higdon being arrested just hours before the bulldozing.

    According to police, officers responded to Higdon’s home Friday evening after reports he had discharged a gun several times into woods near his house. The 48-year-old claimed people dressed in camouflage were running in and out of the forest.

    During the incident, police say Higdon told them he had witnessed people shining lights into his home earlier in the week, and believed them to be employees of McLellan.

    Police searched the area but found no evidence. Higdon was arrested and charged with reckless endangerment.

    “We live in the country,” Sam Higdon to FOX 13. “Everybody fires weapons out here.”

    Sam Higdon also told FOX13 that he believes McLellan should have to pay for repairs to the home.

    “It says, “Private property, No trespassing,’” he said, pointing at a sign on the home’s front door. “What he doing pushing somebody’s house down?”

    Both Higdon and McLellan have since been released on bail and are expected in court later this week. Officials said they are still investigating and both men could face further charges.

    Higdon and his son are now living in a trailer near the demolished home.

Video shows group destroying iconic Cape Kiwanda sandstone pedestal in Oregon

Written on September 24, 2019 at 16:06, by

Cellphone video captured a group of people knocking over a popular sandstone rock formation known as the “Duckbill” on an Oregon beach.

Oregon State Parks officials originally said they didn’t think the break at the site frequented by tourists was caused by humans.

But the video shot by David Kalas of Portland shows a group of visitors pushing the structure until it crumbled to the ground on August 29 at Cape Kiwanda State Natural Area.

The sandstone pedestal was roughly 7 feet to 10 feet across and located in a fenced off section of the park.

Kalas told The Associated Press on Monday that he was with some friends making a drone video of their summer adventures on the Oregon coast when they went to the rock formation.

When they got the drone in the air, a group of eight people “came out of nowhere” and started pushing on the rock. Kalas says he started recording with his cellphone when it began wobbling.

“I didn’t think anything would happen,” Kalas said. “It’s a big rock.”

Five of the people stepped away, but when three others saw there was a crack, they pushed it over, Kalas said.

View this post on Instagram

~Death of an Icon~ Cape Kiwanda’s lost hoodoo #oregon #oregoncoast #northxnorthwest #northernoregoncoast #youroregon #jjoregon #1859oregon #oregonexplored #exploreoregon #capekiwanda #hoodoo #pacificnorthwest #bestoforegoncoast

A post shared by Steven Michael (@stevenmichaelphotography) on Sep 4, 2016 at 9:02pm PDT

“We confronted them and they said it was a safety hazard,” Kalas said. “They said one of their friends had broken a leg on it. It’s like their weird revenge thing.”

The Oregon State Parks and Recreation Department said Monday it will review the incident and takes vandalism seriously.

A similar episode in Utah caused an online uproar. Two Boy Scout leaders were sentenced to probation after recording themselves toppling an ancient rock formation at Goblin Valley State Park and posting it on YouTube.

ChangSha Night Net

Fox News will pay Gretchen Carlson $20 million to settle sexual harassment lawsuit

Written on September 24, 2019 at 16:06, by

Former Fox News anchor Gretchen Carlson has reached a detente of sorts with the network’s parent over charges she was sexually harassed by Roger Ailes, the cable-news network’s former leader and guiding light.

The media conglomerate, controlled by the Murdoch family, said it had reached a settlement with Carlson, who anchored such programs as Fox & Friends and The Real Story during her time at the outlet. A report in Vanity Fair suggested the amount could total as much as $20 million, and a person familiar with the matter said the report was accurate. A spokesman for Carlson’s attorneys, declined to comment.

According to the Vanity Fair story, it’s also widely expected that Ailes will offer Carlson an unprecedented apology.

READ MORE: Fox News chief Roger Ailes denies harassing Megyn Kelly

“21st Century Fox is pleased to announce that it has settled Gretchen Carlson’s lawsuit. During her tenure at Fox News, Gretchen exhibited the highest standards of journalism and professionalism. She developed a loyal audience and was a daily source of information for many Americans. We are proud that she was part of the Fox News team,” the company said in a statement. “We sincerely regret and apologize for the fact that Gretchen was not treated with the respect and dignity that she and all of our colleagues deserve.”

The settlement appears to close at least one of the many storylines related to the behaviour of Ailes, who was the subject of a lawsuit Carlson filed in July alleging the executive subjected her to sexual come-ons and other inappropriate advances.

Her suit sparked an internal investigation at the news outlet, which is the most-watched cable-news network, where other women are said to have come forward alleging sexual harassment by Ailes.

READ MORE: Elisabeth Hasselbeck defends Fox News CEO Roger Ailes amid sexual harassment allegations

Rupert Murdoch, executive chairman of 21st Century Fox, has stepped in to lead Fox News on an interim basis and Bill Shine and Jack Abernethy, two veteran Fox TV executives, were recently named co-presidents and will lead Fox News and Fox Business.

“I am gratified that 21st Century Fox took decisive action after I filed my complaint,” Carlson previously said in a statement. “I’m ready to move on to the next chapter of my life.”

Outcomes of Workplace Sexual Harassment Complaints | Graphiq

ChangSha Night Net

Farmers are getting less for beef cattle, but you’re paying the same for steak. Here’s why

Written on September 24, 2019 at 16:06, by

Farmers are seeing steadily falling prices for beef cattle – but consumers haven’t seen any relief at the meat counter, yet.

Canadian farmers started to see much higher sale prices for beef cattle starting in October 2013, as American beef operations, hit by a severe drought, crossed the border to buy cattle to rebuild their herds.

Before that point, it was unusual for beef cattle to be sold in Alberta for much more than $100 per hundred pounds.

ChangSha Night Net

Related

  • Beef prices start falling, will fall further, expert predicts

  • Three reasons why you can afford to fire up the barbecue again

  • Revenues spike for beef and pork producers on U.S. drought, pig disease

    The price hike was profitable for farmers, but drove up prices for consumers.

    READ MORE: A hog, a year and 5.3 Canadians: Our appetite for animal products, by the numbers

    Beef cattle prices peaked in Alberta in May of 2015 at their highest point in this century. $191.30 per hundred pounds, and have been falling since then. In July, they were down to $139.51.

    That time lag reflects the long time, 18 months to two years, that it takes to rebuild a herd of beef cattle, explains Dalhousie University business professor Sylvain Charlebois.

    For consumers, though, beef prices have stayed high. A kilogram of round steak, for example, cost $18.39 in July, not much lower than the $19.12 it cost in July of 2015 and still higher than the $16.36 of July, 2014.

    So when will we see some lower-priced steak?

    “The question everyone is asking right now is how low the market can go,” explains Brenna Grant, an analyst at Canfax, a market information division of the Canadian Cattlemen’s Association.

    WATCH: Effective today, all beef on Earls menus in Alberta and Saskatchewan is 100 per cent Canadian. But what about other restaurants in Canada? Quinn Ohler finds out.

    “The retailer wants to be confident that those prices are not only going to decline, but they’re going to stay lower. It’s difficult to raise prices – consumers are very price-sensitive.”

    “But we are definitely expecting prices to come down over the next six months.”

    Beef prices crashed in 2003 because of mad cow disease, Charlebois points out, but very little of that was passed on to the consumer.

    “In 2003, farm gate prices went down 70 per cent overnight,” he says. “There was an instant oversupply of beef in the Canadian marketplace, and retail prices barely moved.”

    “Farm gate prices rarely couple with retail prices.”

San Francisco 49ers cut Bruce Miller after he allegedly punched 70-year-old man and son

Written on September 24, 2019 at 16:06, by

SANTA CLARA, Calif. — The San Francisco 49ers released tight end Bruce Miller on Monday, just hours after he was arrested for assaulting two men.

Miller was charged with aggravated assault, elder abuse, threats and battery after an early-morning fight at a San Francisco hotel, according to the San Francisco Police Department. Miller was booked into county jail.

ChangSha Night Net

The police said they were called to the hotel at approximately 2:45 a.m. after Miller tried to enter a hotel room occupied by an elderly couple. The couple’s 29-year-old son, staying in the next room, then told Miller he was at the wrong room. Miller, who was intoxicated at the time, attacked the son and his 70-year-old father, who came to his son’s defence, police said.

Bruce Miller Overview | PointAfter

The father was punched by Miller and both men were taken to the hospital for their injuries, police said.

KTVU-TV first reported the arrest.

The Niners initially said they were investigating the situation, then released Miller.

This is the second time Miller had a run-in with the law. In March 2015, Miller was arrested after he was accused of shoving his ex-fiancee and destroying her cellphone during an argument in Santa Clara. Miller pleaded no contest to the misdemeanor charge of disturbing the peace, and was required to attend a 16-week anti-domestic-violence counseling course.

Miller joined the 49ers in 2011 as a fullback after playing defensive end in college. He was a key part of San Francisco’s teams that went to three straight NFC title games and one Super Bowl in his first three years. In 77 games over five seasons, has 62 yards rushing on 28 carries, adding 76 catches for 734 yards.

He moved to tight end this season under new coach Chip Kelly, who does not use a fullback in his offense. Miller made the team as the fourth tight end behind Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek and Blake Bell.

READ MORE: Ex-NFL star Darren Sharper gets 18 years in prison for drugging and raping 16 women

Miller’s agent and lawyer, Jack Reale, said he was still gathering information Monday. Miller also did not respond immediately to a text message seeking comment.

Earlier Monday, the 49ers signed running back DuJuan Harris to a one-year contract and placed cornerback Will Redmond on injured reserve. The move gives the Niners a fourth running back as insurance with starter Carlos Hyde still in the concussion protocol after getting hurt in the third preseason game.

Harris had 27 carries for 140 yards and nine catches for 97 yards in two games with San Francisco last season. He was cut Saturday.

Redmond was drafted in the third round out of Mississippi State despite tearing his ACL in practice in October. He played in the final two exhibition games this summer. He will be eligible to return after sitting out at least six weeks and then practicing for two weeks.

The Niners also claimed defensive tackle Taylor Hart off waivers from Philadelphia and waived safety L.J. McCray. McCray had been traded Saturday to Seattle for an undisclosed draft pick pending a physical. But he failed the physical and was sent back to San Francisco.

San Francisco also added receiver Chris Harper to the practice squad.